Tuesday, July 22, 2014

6 Steps To...Blah, Blah, Blah. Iggy Azalea Rocks!

“I just can’t worry ‘bout no haters, gotta stay on my grind.” – Iggy Azalea

I know we have all (hopefully) heard this song, which is “Fancy”, by Iggy Azalea. If you haven’t, you aren’t living. This is one of those songs that you can catch me shamelessly singing along to on the highway. If you think I am completely off my rocker, you might be right. Don’t worry, that’s a saying, I think.
So when am I going to shift gears and write something relevant to success and entrepreneurship? I am not exactly sure but I am glad you asked.

When Iggy talks about not worrying about “haters” she is basically giving us all the most profound business lesson we could ever have. She is telling us to forget about all the people that don’t like our material – whether we are a musician, artist or salesperson. She is telling us to look past any rejection we may face and hold onto our grandest vision. She is begging us to be authentic. To not succumb to the pressures of society to become like everybody else. She wants us to be unapologetically, ourselves.

Staying on your “grind”, as Iggy puts it, means taking action and focusing on things that are controllable. Focus on activities, not results. You are never going to be able to fully control outcomes and you will only be discouraged if you worry too much about them. Whether you are writing new music and recording mixtapes or practicing your sales presentation. Stay focused on the “grind”. People are going to tell you no. If you are chasing a huge, ambitious goal, you are going to get a LOT of no’s. People are going to reject you as a person. They are going to reject your ideas. You have to keep yourself positive. Focus on the grind. The grind is the ONLY thing in your control.  

Iggy is telling us to take control, by taking action. She is telling us to remain positive and confident in our own abilities. We can read all the self-help books and motivational blogs we want, but we really don’t need ANY other advice to be successful. Remember, self-doubt and confidence cannot exist in the same environment. If you continue to feed one, the other will die.

Which one are you feeding?


I know Iggy is going to stay on her grind and keep pumping out jams! I am going to keep singing along. I hope you do the same. Take her advice straight to the bank. Focus on the things that you can control and forget about everything else. And everyone else. Do the best you can each day to move forward. Relentlessly. And next time you see a really cool dude (me) in a Jeep Wrangler, blasting this song….feel free to sing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment